The story of a woman traveling to find herself is a literary cliché. It usually starts with the woman, successful but unfulfilled and in an emotionally unsatisfying relationship, who breaks off from everything to travel. In her exotic journey, she discovers true love and experiences spiritual (and gustatory) awakening.
I cannot say that my Miami travels have done that much. It was, however, incredibly refreshing to travel down South and experience the beautiful sunshine and clean water, especially having lived in cloudy Cleveland for so long.
Miami is an incredibly photogenic city; and I am very glad that I brought Marcus along to document it all. Because the large volume of photographs taken, I will be splitting the trip into multiple posts.
I was incredibly lucky to have traveled with some wonderful friends, who were super flexible to changes in our schedule, and adventurous enough to go to (sometimes shady) places with me.
On our first full day, we visited Villa Vizcaya – the home of industrialist James Deering – in the beautiful Coconut Grove. I took a few snaps of the interior, which is of a mix of Asian, European, and American furnishings. We spent most of our time outdoors, in the Italian Renaissance-styled Garden, where we had some mini-photoshoots.
(1) Check out this interesting article on privlit, specifically Eat, Pray, Love, here.
(2) We visited the Cuban later that day, as well, and was lucky enough to bask in the art of Luis Cruz Azaceta.
(3) We also watched Cargo by Kareem J. Mortimer, which, in short, was an incredibly memorable film that takes place against the backdrop of a refugee crisis.
(4) A full itinerary can be found below.
Day 1 Itinerary //
- Breakfast: Starbucks @ Bayside Market
- Lunch/Dinner: Doggi’s Arepa Bar, 1246 SW 22nd St, Miami, FL 33145
- Villa Vizcaya, 3251 S Miami Ave, Miami, FL 33129
- The American Museum of the Cuban Diaspora (or The Cuban), 1200 Coral Way, Miami, FL 33145
- CARGO by Kareem J. Mortimer @ The Miami Film Festival
- YVE Hotel Downtown, 146 Biscayne Blvd, Miami, FL 33132